Mother Nature finally started to think about Spring this week. The temps got to over 50F today I took the first motorcycle ride of the season. It was cold at first...just barely over 50 but as the day progressed it was closer to 60. Such a delight....the sounds and smells of Spring. There were bird calls, swans swimming in a little pond, turkeys that flew across the road and the smell of earth. When I got back I decided it was time to check on the Erosion Project. It is still hanging in the Cherry tree by it's thin silk threads.
Unfortunately, it was still very white and pristine looking until I looked on the bottom.
Ah, that's better.....and a visitor, too. It was dry but we expect rain by the end of the week. It is cheating if I water it?
I also looked at the tree house. Although this was originally hung as a *bird* house there has never been a bird here.
However, there is at least one resident.....a flying squirrel. Last year he shared the house with a small toad. Go figure. The squirrel is back, I'm not sure about the toad.
There were also these signs of Spring....
Daffies push up the earliest in my garden. This is the north side of the garden with the most sun and always the first to awaken in Spring.
Eventually I returned indoors and worked on The Quilt.
First I have Mariposa Lilies. These are not found here on the East Coast/New England, at least I've not found them here. But are plentiful in California especially in the Sierras.
Yes, I did use blue silk with green felt and was not happy with the overall effect. Too washed out.
But they are rather lacey and are easily overlooked when in singles or tiny groups. They are dainty three petaled summer blooms that come in several colors.
Next are Lupines. I dearly love them and have planted several varieties in the yard. The large deep violet one are the only ones that return year after year.
These were difficult as the thread kept breaking. I think the rayon thread was not wound well on the spool. I changed the needle. the bobbin and the tension. The white is mostly sewers pencil. Even though these were set out petal by petal, it was hard to see where they needed to be defined while I sewed.
I have two more....but I will save them for another post. I need to be off to bed. I counted how many squares were embroidered today.....15. It's getting close to half way.