New Look

October 11, 2010

Time to Felt 2

I spent the day mostly in the studio.  Of course, the dogs and I did go for a walk.  It was 73 degrees and so so wonderful outside.  I opened the windows of the studio and let the air in.  So much more enjoyable than the basement.  Sigh.  
I got the second piece done.  They are very close to being the same size.  Laying out was quite the process.  I've not done anything so large in 2 pieces previously.  I was pleased that I had very even wool on the back side without any plain silk.  The light will filter through well. 
Almost 3/4 done with the second piece. 

Left and right side.  Colors are close...for 2 dye pots...I'll take it. 

Now to decide if I want clips a rod or tabs at the top. 
I'm considering this a success and am ready to try a larger size.  Look out bedroom windows you are about to be "treated".

October 10, 2010

Time to Felt

I haven't posted much because I haven't felted much.  I've been busy with the garden mostly.  But also the dogs.  I planted almost 200 bulbs and 1/2 pound of wildflower seeds.  Plus I've pulled weeds and put down mulch.  I'm hoping it pays off next Spring.  

Fall is always a very busy time for me.  We still ride on Sundays so the studio has felt neglected.  Walks with the dogs took me to the woods where the mushrooms are popping out all over.  
This is stink squid.
A Russula type..they may be green, gray, red, pink, or peach color.
I saw lots more mushrooms...but this blog is about felt.

I have several projects I would like to complete before winter.  Drapes for the large living room windows are one.  I've been trying some experimental dying for color.  These have been mostly onion skins with different mordants or an over dye with indigo.  Before I invest in the yardage for such a huge project I needed to see if I could even make drapes at all.
So, first I made a sample of 10 square inches.  
  I figured out it was 40% shrinkage and did some math.
I covered my tables, spread out plastic and then laid down my silk. 
I weighed out the wool.  My sample was 5 grams per 10" square.  
I figured out the total wool, divided it into quarters, laid it out and then added water.  
Today I played patty-cake.....rollie rollie, pattie pattie ... put it in the dryer.  Then it was rolled again, tossed again, heated with hot water, stretched then rolled some more.  
 The first panel is done.  The second is now lying on the table with 1/4 of the wool laid out.  Tomorrow is a holiday for me.  The studio will be filled with music while I make the second panel.