Before Christmas I ground up some lichens, soaked them ammonia and water for about 3 weeks then put in a little bit of embroidery thread. The color was intense and I was pleased as punch. I divided up the liquor I got from the two bottles and added some silk ... fiber, ribbon and more thread.
Yesterday I unwrapped my presents to me.
These are the results of ribbon, fiber and the previous thread. The initial thread is much darker and it came from the jar that held the rosey color on the left. The brown orange liquor produced the lovely deep violet on the right. Dividing the liquor of this jar and putting more ammonia and water in one did not make much of a difference.
The lighter shade below came from the lichen that turned red almost immediately when I added the ammonia/water mix. After the thread experiment with that jar I added a little citric acid hoping to turn it more red. I got the antique rose color.
Sorry for the fuzzys...Trying to use natural light and macrolens. But the colors are lovely...even though I'm not much of a pink person.
I guess I have to decide what to use these for. Mostly I dye with a specific project in mind but this was a special experiment for me. Not sure how light fast lichens are ... so they need to be in a particular project.