After thinking and pondering and several trials I decided that machine embroidery is what needed to happen. The squares needed detail and that needed to be done before they were joined. So I first experimented. I have at least four squares that I probably won't use in the quilt and tried different weight threads, different stitches, and different types of threads.
Here is my first prototype.
I wasn't thrilled with this...but it tell tell me that lighter colored thread on dark background and probably dark thread on light background. The more contrast the better. So I started with my least favorite square.....the Water Lily.
The stitching helped this beyond what I had hoped. I don't know if this was on an earlier post but it was a disappointment when I was done and I wasn't sure it would be included in the final...but it just got moved up to most probably.
I have also been dyeing (of course!) and ground up some oakgalls in an old coffee grinder. Then I put them in the crockpot and cooked them.
I also tried a steam wrap of some oak, maple and poplar leaves. These I wrapped tight with silk on one side and white felt on the other.
I'm also waiting for the onion skin jar to see what happens.
I shall see what these bring over the next week. But tomorrow.... I will be doing more machine embroidery to go forward with The Quilt.