trimmed the leaves and put the flowers in the first pot. It was brought to a simmer for an hour then strained and silk added. As crazy as it seems I managed to leave it in the pot without looking, lifting or sneaking peak for a week. When it was done and the silk removed, I added Tumeric and made a second pot. More silk was added. But I hadn't thrown away those flowers.... all the stems and leaves were chopped, added then simmered on the stove. It never boiled....just let off steam and occasionally flipped a leaf. I then strained the leaf brew, added alum and put in some silk to make pot number three.
They simmered all night, but at 5 am this morning the Big Bear (DH) woke me up and asked if those crockpots in the basement were suppose to be cooking all night. =-) He said it smelled like hot dogs! But I got this:
The middle is butter yellow...flowers no mordant...not sure how color fast it will be. The left is flowers and tumeric...a most gorgeous gold. The right is leaves, stems, 2nd dip flowers with alum....the golden brown is where the edges peeked out from the brew.
And I was happily pleased after.
Next....I'm looking at these
Found in my wild garden.