New Look

July 31, 2010

A few Pictures of Natural Dyeing

Have felt pretty time pressured lately.  Grooming dogs, trying to plant and water the garden, working on finishing the studio and just doing the general errands, laundry, know.  I did do some dyeing last are some of the results.
These were all done with paj on the back side and then pieces of silk (various weights) and some sheer cottons on the front.  Some pieces were previously dyed with rust and turned dark with various responses from the leaves...especially the eucalyptus.  Below is one of my favorites.  The veins in the tiny leaves....and the silly dog in the corner.
Some had small sections of weaving ... a technique from Jude's cloth to cloth class...that I also like very much. 
One interesting bit I learned....well, two....
First...sometimes the backside is just as yummy as the front...
And the wool takes all the dyes (but especially the eucalyptus) deeper.
I'd really like to do more of these...but tomorrow is Sunday and I promised DH I would do a long ride with him through CT starting down in Mystic and ending almost in Mass.  I'm always torn...leaving the studio with so many ideas swimming around *and* next week will be the Guild Meeting in Vermont.  I can't believe how fast the time flies.  Can it really be 3 months since the last one?  We will be learning tips and techniques on how to blend wool...and I just *happen* to have a small drum carder that I would love to learn more about.  
Now I'm off to make an art card of nuno to trade at the meeting. 

July 25, 2010

It's Too Hot To Do Much

I've been busy... doing those summer things...riding my bike...and trying to stay cool.  Seems that working with wool doesn't have as much appeal for me during the summer.  I have made a little progress on the quilt...but not too much.  Seems that working in the garden or trying to organize the studio has been more of a priority.  It now looks like this with the studio helper:
The air conditioning has been installed and we all find it much cooler to work here...if not actually optimum 
I had to put this picture up as I really want to remember where I tried to sew...Ha!
I have been working on more natural dyeing on prefelt squares that I plan on felting together and adding to the quilt I made in India's class.  
Lots of soft colors and wonderful textures.  
Today I found out about different types of Eucalyptus...and how they react to rust dyed silk....

July 2, 2010

The Quilt Continues

Before I rushed off to NC then TN I did a little work on the quilt.  Having finished the squares I laid them out on the floor in the living room.  (The studio floor being very dusty yet....but more on that later)
The color is not good....but the idea is emerging.  The gray spaces are actually my carpet of soft teal green.  They will be filled in with felt of green with leaves both nuno and stitched.  
The glare is from the skylight shinning and try as I might I couldn't get a complete picture without it.  I've trimmed off the curly bits of the sides (thinking Jude Hill weaving with silk strips I've saved them all) and re arranged the composition again.  
It is now pinned and ready to baste.  Whew...I have my first Friday off today (I decreased the time at my Day Job to Mon thru is short don't you know!) but have several irons in the fire.  Not the least is the Studio.  The floor has been covered again with plywood to make it more rigid, sanded and now has it's primer coat of paint.  DH has been working steadily to move it forward.  We hope to get the waterproof flooring down this long weekend.  Wish me luck.  And enjoy your 4th of July if you celebrate.